A Travellerspoint blog

Day 26: Friday 31st July - Nazca to Arequipa, Peru

Nazca Lines Flight, massive lunch, and another overnight bus

sunny 28 °C

The next morning we got up early, as we had to be ready to be picked up by 9am to do the Nazca Lines flight. So we quickly got up had our showers, a quick breakfast, (which was just supermarket fruit and rolls), then jumped on the bus.
We drove back towards town then our to the airport. The road to our hotel wasn't as creepy as I remember it being the night before.
Not everyone decided to go on the Nazca Lines flight, as it was 300 Soles ($150) and they were either saving money or afraid of small planes or get motion sick. I get the last two but didn't want to come all this way and not do it. So we were on 2 planes, a 10 seater and a 5 seater. Me and Callum were on the 10 seater. We had a bit of a briefing about what we would see, then we all jumped on the plane, buckled up and took off.
For each drawing the pilot turned the plane right and circled around it, and then left around it. There were 10 drawings. An astronaut, a monkey, a hummingbird, a spider, a hand, a whale, etc. I took photos of the first 5 then started needing to see a horizone line, was getting a little sick. Got my plastic bag ready on my lap just incase. I was just getting really dissy in this head, as was Callum, his motion sickness is a little worse than mine. But we were coming to the end of flight, where there were some incredible views, I took a few photos then started feeling really bad and Jack had just been sick behind me. When the plane landed I ran out and got fresh air and solid ground, then I was fine. Callum laughed at me. :-P.
After the flight we went back to the creepy hotel which had an awesome swimming pool, and sunbathed for a little bit, and got to know our new group a little more. Then Marco pulled out a bottle of Pisco he brought from the winery and some limes and lemonade, and taught us all how to make Pisco Sours. They were so refreshing. We took drinks down to a lunch ceremony that had been prepared for us called Pachamanca (Basically like a Hungi). Pachamanca is a sacred ceremony where a big hole has been dug in the ground and fire has been lit and left to get down to hot coals. Then food is placed on a tray on the coals. Each type of food is wrapped in big banana leaves, the potatoes and kumara are wrapped individually. The more banana leaves cover all the food, then it is covered in dirt and left for 2.5 hours to cook.
They see this ceremony as giving to their gods, mainly Pachamama or Mother Earth. Peruvians three main gods and symbols are The Father/Sun/Eagle, who looks over them, Pachamama/Mother Earth/ the Puma, who helps them survive feeds them etc, and the underworld/the Snake, where they go to live on.
It was now time for the unvieling ceremony. The mother and father of the tribe have to draw a cross on the top of the pile (Reisha and Desmond did the honors) then they had to do three digs each, one at a time. Then our host dug up the rest for us and slowly revealed each bowl of food. It was soooo delicious!! There was even fried queso yum! (cheese).
After we were all very full and had cultural fix for the day, we jumped in the pool. It was a little freezing. Oh actually I didn't jump in the pool I got thrown in by Jack. COLD! Decided to not stay in long, so I sun bathed and played cards instead. The boys all stayed in for a while and played catch with the ball Jack brought.
Then rest of the day was free time until 7.30pm, when we had to get a bus into the centre to have dinner and catch our night but to Arequipa. So we just sat by the pool drinking frozen homemade lemonades and teaching the new people shithead.
I went upstairs to have a shower and pack and found Callum passed out. He looked like he'd started packing, but was too tired so fell asleep. After we'd showered and packed we went down stairs and caught the bus into Nazca centre. When we got there we went straight to dinner. Brasa Chicken again. Yummy! That's the place where you get a whole roast chicken and chips and salad. I was sooo hungry I ate 4 peoples salad. Callum decided to have fried chicken instead. After dinner we jumped on our night bus to Arequipa. This one is 10 hours.

Posted by Maraka Saunders 17:00 Archived in Peru

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint